Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Case for Texting

We live in a world dominated by technology. It is almost literally everywhere, and it plays a huge part in our everyday lives. Perhaps the most important piece of technology to teens across the country is their cell phone. Who knows how many hours of schooling have been disregarded because of the “necessity” of the receiving student to respond to a text.
It seems that teachers are especially against texting. There are strict punishments for any and all students found texting during class. Furthermore, many teachers will argue that texting is entirely unproductive. The texting lingo students use is seen as destructive because it let’s them communicate in grammatically incorrect ways e.g: “omg ur soooo lame”. Also, texting is stripping the youth of their ability to communicate one on one with each other.
I see it differently. Of course students should be spending their time in class learning. A teacher shouldn’t be ignored. Elsewhere, texting is more acceptable. If I’m on a family vacation, there is no chance of me being able to see my friends. A phone call is almost as impossible as physical contact. Being able to text a friend let’s me keep in touch with everybody I’m close to. I’d even say that it has made today’s youth closer to each other because we can communicate with each other at any time.
The largest issue is grammar. For the most part, texting involves informal abbreviations during a conversation. I for one rarely use periods, and my texts become comma splices. I’d also say that by texting hundreds if not thousands of times a day, the youth is improving their language. English is a language that is mastered by repetition.  What would help you’re English more, watching T.V or watching T.V while texting? The practice we get toward our language isn’t perfect during texting, but it is still practice. Words that I used to spell incorrectly have aren’t an issue for me anymore because I’ve used them so many times in a text message. 
This isn’t a calling for all students to whip their phones out during a lecture, but it’s more of a defense towards an often ridiculed pastime.  I know that I’ll never be able to read Shakespeare from reading my friends’ texts (though I do wonder how’d they react to me texting them in iambic pentameter), but it helps more than doing nothing. As an example, running a mile won’t help me become a great soccer player, but it is a lot more productive than eating a bag of chips.
Just my two cents on the matter, you’re mileage may vary.

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. I think you have many good points in this post that most people don't consider. I really liked what you had to say about the grammer issue. I know that I have learned to spell words correctly when my phone corrects my spelling. Because of this I wont make the same mistake next time. This is a great topic to give some thought to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Cody. I also think people often disregard the advantages of texting and how it is the quickest/easiest form of communication. Most of the adults that look down upon cell phone use did not grow up with them as we are doing. Unlike us the idea of a cell phone is not second nature to most adults. I think as we get older and our "cell-phone" generation becomes the authority we will be able to understand these benefits and ease up on the negativity. Then again, by the time we're adults there will probably be another form of technology that out dates cell phones, and we, then, will too be the out dated grown ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I do see that your argument for the benefits and contributions texting has to the language and the people using it is quite thought out and logical, I could not disagree more with your stance. Texting abbreviations and slang are creating bad habits for students during the time of their life they need grammatical correctness the most, during school. Also, texting creates a false world of relationships between people that discourage actual bonding and closeness with another person. My mileage does vary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather always says to me and his entire family "Communication: if you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't matter how I say it." I think this applies in the world of texting. Although I can see the point that texting lingo does not belong in a professional or semi-professional atmosphere, I don't necessarily agree with it. I can equate it to this. Having your hat on in a school is seen as inappropriate and bad-mannered. Thinking about it now, I cannot fathom any real reason for it to be a "rule". Back to the texting, using lingo such as "u" and "ur" seems inappropriate to be used in a research paper, but why? I can confidently say that most people know what you are trying to say, and those who don't will learn. So what's the problem?

    ReplyDelete